<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, July 08, 2007

An earlier post titled "Sexual Crimes and Colonial Trauma" is now morphing into a cyberdialogue with women who have dealt with this issue in their lives. Interestingly, the manuscripts that were submitted for the babaylan book also contain healing stories from childhood violence and sexual trauma -- all related to imperial and colonial trauma. There is a lot of material on this topic already, but I believe this anthology addresses very specific Fil Am themes that haven't been explored yet. This could be groundbreaking if we can pull it off. I'm struggling to get the writing off the ground.

I wrote this (excerpt) in my journal as I started to read these manuscripts:

I started crying last night as I looked at the babaylan manuscripts
This is powerful work. I don’t know that I can do this.
Why did I have the audacity to think that I can do this?


I had it all figured out: the theoretical framework, the scaffold needed to privilege
Indigenous Filipino theorizing.
But this is shamanism! This is not theorizing!
This is not mere intellectual work! Where is your Body?
Shamanic work always begins in the Body.


and this morning, read this in Grace's blog:

Others may direct energy in the forms of academic analysis, mass action, and politics and policy in stopping global warming, humanitarian crisises and the Iraq war. For myself, my energy may be better leveraged by supporting women and men, to honor, heal, and love the creative, juicy power of their sex. In doing so, a profound nourishing act of service can happen in both the mind and body which can ultimately subvert the origins of Cartesian (black/white, right/wrong, top/bottom), split thinking that created this whole mess in the first place. When the body gets more and more what freedom feels and tastes like deep inside, the rest follows.

What follows this is Grace's analysis of what's missing in the "human potential" movement in (white) liberal communities and what's missing in our Fil Am community conversations about sexuality and trauma. I think she's on to something here.

In the meantime, I continue to get backchannels from readers who tell me that they are glad that they can talk about this now.

Comments: Post a Comment
links to this post

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?