<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, February 03, 2005

Thanks to Rachel Cerdenio who recently wrote about Coming Full Circle for her doctoral class on Philosophical Foundations of Education. Here's her conclusion to the essay:

Personal Reflections
Someone once said to me that books have a funny way of looking for you instead of you looking for it. I felt this way when Dr. Leny Strobel’s work Coming Full Circle fell into my hands. Even though I learned a lot from and have been empowered by the many books such as Pedagogy of the Oppressed by Paulo Freire, Teaching to Transgress by bell hooks, or L.S. Vygotsky’s Mind in Society that were assigned by various professors I still could not shake off that small feeling of disconnectedness. Since I wanted to do research that explored the formation of identity, I wanted to find a book that reflected the true voice of experience of the Filipinos. Strobel’s work, written meditatively yet aggressively at times brought about the right combination of fresh insight and intelligence that I was looking for in a book of the same genre. I believe that Strobel’s Coming Full Circle: The Process of Decolonization among Post-1965 Filipino Americans will remain as one of the most important narrative about the Filipino American experience.


Comments: Post a Comment
links to this post

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?