<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, January 26, 2005

You know you're getting old when you can't keep up with your friends' blogs! ...

When you don't know the comix hero who is from Pampanga and never heard of those comix cards and you are Kapampangan!...

When you feel dizzy just trying to keep up with the readings of Barb and Manong Oscar...or the saga of Eileen in snowed-in-New York....

And who can keep up with Jean and her precious finds online -- from accordions to comics...

Anyway...aside from being old, what has really kept me away from the blog is my new cat - Waiwai. We adopted her from my niece in Seattle; she is an older cat (I suspect even menopawsal) and she often meows at me when I'm sitting at my desk and I must obey and move to the recliner, have her sit on my lap and give her a thorough brushing and stroking.

I am realizing that trying to be a pet-person is not easy. I need to be able to change my language: from thinking of her as a "pet" to thinking of her as "companion and friend," from "distraction" to "paying attention." Maybe I can even think of her as my zen tutor.

So when I'm feeling dismayed by the recent tsunami song dissing its victims, or reading about the hidden messages in Bush' inaugural address, Waiwai is here to teach me mindfulness.


When the mind is still, interconnections become more clear. Four more years of Bush in the context of infinity become bearable. And Gramsci says: pessimism of the intellect, optimism of the will. Sign those petitions. Make your voice heard.



Comments: Post a Comment
links to this post

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?